Saturday, February 22, 2014

dvusMedia - Meditation with Variations on the Theme

Today's track is actually a three-bee

At the beginning of October 2000 I composed / mixed a track which was a kind of ambient something or other. It included among other things clips of a thunder storm I had recorded, some excerpts of my fooling around with a Yamaha DX-21 FM synth, and clips of my playing a clay pot... slow... contemplative...  boring... meditative. It acquired the name "Meditation".

Cynthia, my spouse, asked me to put together a meditation something like "Meditation" but something more pleasant to contemplate so the track was remixed and morphed into "Cyn's Meditation"... But I wasn't quite satisfied and kept tinkering with the track until it morphed into another of my soundscapes which I named "Sunrise on the Saraswati"

You can find all three HERE remastered for your listening pleasure.

Now understand I had only been doing this kind of composing / remixing for a very short time [about three months at that time tho' I had been fooling with Electronic synthesizer music for about eight years by that time]. I had no idea [and still don't] know how to define the "genre" or "type" or what have you of these things I had begun to compose... To me if the track expressed what I wanted it to express why then I was successful. If a listener wanted to call it "ambient" or "techno" or even "junk" I am fine with that. Is this stuff music? That's in the ears of the beholder.

A music reviewer friend of mine, Gordon F of Audio-Bomb, could tell you far better than I whether this is of any value as a listener... At the time I was having a lot of fun as a composer and musician as well as a writer. The Chatsubo sure opened my eyes and ears to new things.. and so the music and mixes evolved.

No comments: